Here’s the final part of our Fancy Shoe & Shoebox tutorial. Part III of the tutorial reviews the following:
Section III: Making the Heel
- I use modeling chocolate or gumpaste to make the heel.
- When using modeling chocolate I let it dry for about 2 weeks and then wrap gumpaste around it to match the color of the shoe.
- Tip: You can create several heels out of modeling chocolate to use as basis for other future designs.
- First I roll the modeling chocolate into a log. I measure the height of the heel using the model shoe we started with.
- Tip: I like to add a skewer through the heel to add extra support. This is also good when placing the shoe on top of the cake as it can be used to support the shoe.
- I put a 45 degree angle for the heel to fit the sole appropriately.
- I let the heel dry a few days. In the case of modeling chocolate it generally only needs to dry for one day.